Here's my little, ah hem, BIG third grader on his first day of school. I love that my position affords me the luxury of working around my life. I was able to pick Joseph up from school and take him to get his favorite frozen yogurt so we could discuss his first day of a school.
I will likely never get used to my sons growing up. Just when I think I've got a handle on one stage they transition to another. That's always how I feel about the beginning of a new school year. Third grade. How can Joseph be in third grade if I remember my own third grade experiences like they were yesterday? Mrs. Kakugawa at Haha'ione Elementary. Reading about Thailand and memorizing the multiplication table. Mrs. Kakugawa was actually a published poet, so as you can imagine, we wrote and read a LOT of poetry that year. I love how each teacher brings a strength and a passion that they can share with their students. When I was teaching I think my strength was imparting a love for life-long learning. Learning outside of the classroom is special because it can be about anything you want! Want to learn about Tchaikovsky's fourth symphony? Anything is game!
This year Joseph is in Mrs. Meier's class. It's only been a few days but I think we're both smitten. She appears very structured and consistent. She is prompt in her replies (yes, I've already emailed her, but in my defense I waited until the second day) and values strong communication between school and home. Joseph is also one of 22 students. Being an educator, I have an appreciation for small class sizes.
I have a very good feeling about this year. I hope it continues to exceed my expectations.

No comments:
Post a Comment