Joe has been thinking about his advancement from Petty Officer First Class to Chief Petty Officer for as long as I can remember. Every year it feels like the same process- an endless waiting game and supreme uncertainty. This year was no different.
First, there's a qualifying exam. Joe always says it is an impossible feat. It's a mental marathon of multiple choice questions and for someone who doesn't best exhibit their skill and mastery in testing situations, it can be a disheartening endeavor.
After the exams are scored, candidates are either eligible to proceed or not based on their performance on the test. Joe usually makes it to this point with ease. Sailors are asked to assemble a collection of documents to highlight their accolades.
After submitting their portfolios, there's more waiting. Sometime after that, the number of CPO vacancies are released. This gives the prospective chiefs an idea of the probability of their advancement. One year I recall that the percentage of candidates selected for advancement was something abjectly dismal like 0.5%.
Around the end of August, the selectee names are published. Joe was elated to discover that he was among the selectees. He quickly scanned the list to see who else had advanced. Many of Joe's friends had also made it.
I'd share my distaste for the various traditions around the transition from First Class to Chief, but I don't want to impugn a tradition many believe in so ardently. Selectees usually spend this month away from their families, sleep deprived, feverishly fundraising, and enduring desperate humiliation. Joe's boat was on patrol during this time which I believed to be a blessing initially, but later discovered was just as bad as if he were not deployed. We didn't have the benefit of being connected and supporting each other during this time. I think it made it harder on both of us.
Ultimately, the torment ends and the outcome is a nicer-looking uniform, a handsome salary increase, and validation of years of calculated sacrifices and hard work.
These pictures are from Joe's advancement ceremony. It was a beautiful albeit cool day filled with relief, excitement, and pride.




No comments:
Post a Comment