Friday, August 6, 2010

A Blur

What a blur this summer has become! I feel like I am always saying that time moves quickly. I think that time only moves slowly when you're a child. The older I get, the quicker time seems to pass.

Joseph is transitioning out of Preschool. He's been attending school less and less and spending more and more time with Grandma. He loves it, she loves it and I'm happy that everyone is happy! They swim every day and go to the game room and play cards. What a life!

Joseph has started swim lessons with his best friend, Gabriel. Originally, they were supposed to be in the same class. Fortunately, Gabriel was advanced to the higher class and without knowledge, we were unable to make the change soon enough. This ended up being for the better. It is difficult for Joseph to concentrate when he has friends around. Instead of listening quietly, he tends to get caught up with others. Watching the first lesson made me tear up with pride. He was so well-behaved. He listened to EVERYTHING the teacher said and obeyed. While other children were talking or looking around, he was intently focused on the instructor. When it was time to go, he helped Mr. Alex put the boards away without any prompting. Joe came along with me the second time and he was impressed, too although he made little mention of it to me. I could see it in his eyes and smile.

Ixchel and Ivan had us over for dinner last weekend and they made a feast for us. I felt abashed by the pizza and breadsticks I made when we had them over. Ribs, steak, Bubba Burgers, corn on the cob, potato salad, and watermelon. They have a slip and slide which Joseph LOVED. It sparked a campaign by Joseph to win one of his own in our backyard but Joe, whose own father detested the thing, dismissed Joseph's insistence as a temporary novelty. It seems as though he was right; Joseph has mentioned nothing of the slide since.

I was thinking about all the new friends that I have here in Washington. It's been an entire YEAR since we've moved here and I can't believe how many new people we've met and how much fun we're having. I become pensive when I hear people tell me they're unhappy here. They complain about little to do, the weather, the mall, the weather, the people, the weather... and of course, the weather. The first time I was truly homesick was while we were camping. Joseph, Joe and I went to the waterfront and it was revolting. I missed the powdery white sand and the blue clear ocean. I missed 7-11's Spam musubi, Pauoa Chop Suey, Ala Moana Shopping Center, and Kapolei Middle School. Most of all, I missed my best friends, Wayne and Taryn. I regret that I am terrible at keeping in touch with people. It was nice helping Punahou Marching Band because Taryn and I would get to hang out every weekend. It was also nice to live so close to each other- Taryn living in Pearl City and I in Waipahu. However, I love that my mom has her own apartment here with a swimming pool, movie theater, technology center, and gym. It also has an extra room where we put a twin size bed for Joseph. He loves having sleepovers with "Gandmra!" It's also nice to be so close to Lory and Joe! We stopped by there a couple of weekends ago for an impromptu visit. Joseph already has so much more than I ever had as a child!

These entries, I suspect, will become increasingly long as I continue to procrastinate my way through my last class of the program. Technology and Administration EDA 590. I am already thinking about my residency in the Fall. I'm mostly thinking about what I'm going to wear. Perhaps my inattention is a sign of immaturity and reluctance to push myself out into the world as a school leader. If it were up to me, I'd be a student forever. What's next? Hmmm... How about law school? I've been reading a great book about a man's account of his first year at Harvard Law School. I don't want to go to Harvard, but the experience sounds absolutely terrifying! I must be a masochist.

We're going camping this weekend and I suspect we'll have some pictures up soon.

No comments: