Monday, December 7, 2009

Tree Lighting in Port Orchard

Nothing was getting this young man's spirit down!
(I'm behind him, hands in pockets, ready to take refuge in the car)

Not the most flattering picture of me but in all fairness it's the coldest I've been in a very long time.

Joe's friend, Brandon, invited us to the Tree Lighting Ceremony in downtown Port Orchard. Joe wanted to go so much so I thought it was a good opportunity to meet some of Joe's co-workers who live in our area as well as participate in what could become an annual tradition. Brandon's wife, Megan, is very lovely. They have a beautiful little 16 month-old daughter named Amiya. They were obviously much more prepared than we were since they had her all bundled up in fluffy, winter garb. We saw the dog parade which was totally cute because all the dogs were dressed up in Christmas costumes! My favorites were the bull dogs dressed as Mr. and Mrs. Claus. We then went to the marina where the boats are decorated. It was entertaining to watch Joseph's excitement at all of the lights. Finally, we followed the crowd to City Hall where, at the stroke of 6, the massive tree was illuminated with thousands of lights and ornaments. It made me feel a surge of camaraderie that I thought was unique to Hawaii.

Being born and raised in Hawaii affords you membership to a community of people that can't be acquired through any other means. My mother has lived in Hawaii her entire adult life- certainly longer than I've been alive but she STILL isn't a member of this community. She didn't grow up in our school system, catch the bus down to Kahala Mall after school to buy crack seed from Longs. She didn't attend A-plus, go to Camp Erdman for band or leadership camp in middle and high school. She didn't have a Kupuna come to her class every week and tell Hawaiian legends, make crafts, teach Ulu Maika, and songs. No matter how 'Hawaiian' people think they can get by living in Hawaii, they'll never, ever be able to acquire these unique experiences through any other capacity. No matter how much they try it can never happen.

Even though this is true, it's interesting that it is also the case in every other geographic area. I didn't grow up in Port Orchard but I understand why people think that living there for a while is the same as being raised there. Since I know that is not the case, I'll be careful about the way that I interpret my own experiences.

Experiencing the Tree Lighting also brought me back 100 years in time. I'm sure that this is something that families enjoyed even back then. It made me cognizant that I am creating traditions for my family that my son may replicate in his own experience as an adult with a family. It's exciting and yet I feel the weight of future generations on my shoulders.

No comments: