


You'd think that since I'm 36 weeks pregnant a trip to the ER wouldn't sound out of the ordinary. People go into labor all the time, right? Well today after my 36 week OB appointment, Joseph and I headed to McDonalds for a little morning snack before school. When we pulled into the drive-thru, he mentioned to me that he had stuck his finger in a toy he'd received at Gabriel's birthday party this past Saturday. I pulled into a stall and tried to twist the thing off. After a few minutes of unsuccessful twisting and pulling (and hysterical crying), I decided to proceed to Target to get some oil or soap. Joseph was in such high spirits I was sure that taking it off wouldn't be a big deal. When we got to the bathroom, I quickly realized that this was not going to be as easy as I thought. Not knowing what else to do, I headed BACK to Naval Hospital Bremerton to take Joseph to the Emergency Room. I told Joseph that I wished he hadn't got his finger stuck and he agreed. 15 minutes later, he looks at me with tears bursting from his eyes and says, "I shouldn't have gotten it stuck on my finger!" I felt so bad that he felt bad about it. I reassured him that everyone makes mistakes and that next time he will know not to put his finger in anything. When we got settled into our exam room hospital people kept coming in to investigate the boy with the toy finger. They would peer in and smile while approaching the bed. Joseph didn't know what to make of it. It was a little like being a celebrity. It took one on-call surgeon, two nurses, an HM3, two surgical tools, and 20 minutes to get the thing off. Between being involved in a vehicle "incident" (as USAA phrases it) and a trip to the ER, this has been an eventful week, for sure!
No comments:
Post a Comment