Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Vegas, Baby!

This wasn't my first time in Vegas. I actually went on a wind ensemble trip my junior year in college. We did an exchange performance for the UNLV school of music students. Our conductor was so proud that so few of us were actually not music majors, he indicated so on the program. If we were a music major, we had an asterisk next to our name. There were very few on the program. I guess this was impressive since we still had a talented bunch despite pursuing fields such as engineering, law, and accounting. We performed a Japanese piece of which I am quite fond. I have it on CD, but I'd have to dig it out of some box in storage.

On this band trip, I had literally just turned 21. I believe it was about 3 weeks after my birthday. My Dad gave me $100 and told me to gamble it away. Considering his financial constraints, this was quite a sacrifice. He believed in taking risks, though, and I believe he knew that this would ignite my own sense of chance. He told me all about the good old days of Vegas and his experiences in the Spa field. He practically started his own Spa business from the ground up in these resorts. He told me about how he moved his mother from New York to Vegas so he could take care of her. He would always put all of his change in a bowl by the front door so she could use it to play the slot machines. Once she stayed there all night and lost a whole bunch of money. My Dad said that she became a bit obsessed with those machines. I can see how easy it is to become that way. When you're up, you're up and the feeling is euphoric. When you're down, it can become a costly endeavor to find a way back up.

Vegas took on an entirely different meaning this time around. The trip was initiated by Taryn. She had a one way ticket that she didn't redeem because of a change in her itinerary the last time she was in Seattle to visit me. That was what sparked our interest in Vegas. I really admire her ability to organize things. She thinks about every little detail and every little possibility. I'm more of a, "We'll see what we need when we get there." I used to get really down on myself because of my poor planning skills, but I figure that it's a part of my personality and therefore, nothing I have complete control over. I have brown hair; I can live with it or I can try like heck to dye it and change it. However, it is something into which I am investing more effort. It'd love to be as organized as she is! She was never pushy which I imagine is difficult for extremely organized people like her. She's very genuine, patient, and persistent.

Wayne is incredibly funny. He can see humor in everything and that is certainly a good thing to be around! He also remembers stories that my mommy brain has filed and shelved in the Amygdala where it was never to be seen again until my Wayne regaled us with tales of old. There was the time at Pacific Music Institute where Wayne and I would dress by themes. One day was sporty and another was preppy. No one would have known; it was between the two of us. We also made up songs using foods to help us sub-divide the rhythms of pieces. "French Fry" for eighth notes, "Hamburger" for triplets, and "Watermelon" for sixteenth notes. What total geeks! His positivity and optimism are endearing and inspirational.

Lisa is a one of a kind friend. Even though I rarely hear from her (sister is ALWAYS busy) I'll never lose that connection that I have with her. She hasn't really changed at all in the 15 years that I've known her. She's still generous, kindhearted, and humorous. She giggles a lot and it makes everything funny. I love that she shares the same passion about education that I do. Who would have know 15 years ago that we would become our English and Social Studies teachers? Sitting at dinner, talking about education reform? How funny have we become? Auntie Cheryl and Uncle Jimmy continue to be my inspiration and role models. They are very wise with their money and know when to save and when to invest. Their relationship has also stood the test of time. Auntie Cheryl was like a mother to me. She always has nice things to say to me. Taryn brought up a good point; Auntie Cheryl is the consummate mother-figure dispensing her pearls of wisdom to all! As long as this font of knowledge has something to say, I'll be listening!

Vera is disgustingly perfect. She's the girl that you wish you could harbor ill-feelings for but just can't because there's no one cooler than her. She is intelligent, humble, and beautiful. She has an amazing relationship with her hunky husband, Blaine. He's looks and smarts rolled into one perfect package. They live in a million-dollar home in McCormick Woods which is like the Beverly Hills of South Kitsap. After years of hearing Taryn talk about Vera, I'm so excited to finally have met her. We're going to have a good time in Washington together and I can't wait!

Highlights
Spending 24/7 with my bestest friends
Wayne's morning dance
Spending time with Vera and Blaine Taguchi, my new best friends!
Seeing Lisa and Auntie Cheryl
Meeting my (Wayne's) cousins and their children, Jared, Kelsey, and Connor
Shopping
Delicious food EVERYWHERE
Fist punch with Abby King of Stanford University School of Medicine
Meeting Lisa's friends
Eating ono Hawaiian ginds like Kakimochi and Li Hi Gummies
Being VIP at the M buffet
Mo and never-ending lemon aid refills
The Spazmatics and Tainted Love
Spago
Shopping Tax Free in Portland
Salted Caramels
Chocolatiers from the Netherlands
2 Floors of Forever 21
Men's fashion at Forever 21
40% off at Ann Taylor
Pazzo's for Dinner
Wearing shorts and sunglasses

Lowlights (Is that a word?)
The Wheel of [Mis]Fortune (Where did my money go?)
Smoking EVERYWHERE
Alcohol EVERYWHERE
Missing Cher
Too early for Joan Rivers
Too late for Bette Middler

The Highlights certainly win out the Lowlights and this trip was an awesome success. I love, love, LOVE Wayne and Taryn and I could really be ANYWHERE having fun with them! We could be somewhere awful like... Tacoma (ha ha, take all the time you need with that one- inside joke) and we'd still be having a blast. I guess that's what makes friendships like ours special.

No comments: