Another highlight was meeting Don and Jean Stuart, Joey's aunt and uncle. I had known of them (particularly Aunt Jean as she is Joe's father's sister) even prior to legally joining the Stutesman family. I heard tales of Jean's domestic prowess and amiable disposition. Even after hearing such high praise from each and every one of Joe's family, I would never have imagined that she is as enjoyable and utterly pleasant as I found her to be. She has a keen understanding of children- elevated beyond even a seasoned mother. She is compassionate, endlessly patient, and gracious. I found both Jean and Don to be truly beautiful people. I've never met their children (although, I've also heard equally positive things about her brood of 4), but I imagine any success they experience can be explained by their empathic and nurturing disposition.
From left to right: Joe, Lory, Joseph, Jean, Jacob, Don, Aunt Judy, Hailey Jean (dog), Joe, and Uncle Jack.
After camping with extended family, the boys and I explored the Oregon coast and hit a lot of great sights. My favorite was visiting Yaquina Bay Lighthouse. We spoke with a delightful gentleman with the Oregon State Park internship program, Fox Avery. He was knowledgeable of marine life, but also exhibited tremendous skill in interacting with little children. When I asked if he was studying Marine Biology at the university, I was astonished to learn that he is still a high schooler. True to form, I called the U.S. Department of Interior (local office) to share the stellar experience our family had just had. I suppose it is very common to hear from guests wishing to file complaints, and not as common to hear from individuals wanting to share positive feedback around any particular aspect of their experience. I wanted to ensure that the director of the training program their effort is easily identifiable in the performance of interns like Mr. Avery.
In addition to the lighthouses, we also visited the Tillamook Factory. We watched the production of various dairy products including an assortment of cheese and ice cream. After a lactose-laden lunch comprised of grilled cheese sandwiches, cheese curds, and macaroni and cheese, we topped it off with Tillamook ice cream. Despite knowledge of the adverse biological effects lactose has on my gastro-intestinal system, I indulged so enthusiastically that I was met with profound regret (read- gas, and acute abdominal cramping) the entire drive home.
All in all, it was a thoroughly enjoyable opportunity to stretch beyond my comfort zone, and I'm proud of myself for surviving.





No comments:
Post a Comment