There I was, at Starbucks with a line of 5 or 6 peeved people behind me, reading off from a paper the 9 coffee orders placed by the CKJ office staff. I grinned when I got to Susan's because it was Hot Chocolate... I was tickled to see that we both like the same drink. Who wouldn't like Hot Chocolate, though? I was more than happy to do it but it dawned on me that this was the quintessential role of an intern! People gave me looks of sympathy and knowing as I walked out of the store balancing two drink carriers full of piping hot beverages. Susan is so wonderful that she treated her staff (and me) to Starbucks! What boss does that? Monday morning, not particularly cold, there she is shelling out $40 for her staff's orders. When I grow up, I want to be just like Susan! It's been my mantra since I started my internship. I may name my next child after her. Hmmm... Susan Stutesman? Even if it's a boy? (Johnny Cash's "Boy Named Sue" playing in my head.)
Monday and Tuesday evening were spent at Olympic High School making calls to registered voters possibly in favor of supporting the Capital Projects Levy being proposed for February's ballot. I was hung up on over 10 times and yelled at many times. When people call me, I'm always very polite when I decline to take a survey or hear about upcoming political events. I don't always decline, either. I love talking to people about my beliefs. If they ask me questions, I really like being honest because I'm really proud of my beliefs. Once, I was surveyed by people campaigning for Bush, and as soon as I answered the second question, they gave up on me. I suspect that they believed I was a supporter because I voted for Lingle in the previous election... Either way, I was still very polite!
Joseph came with me tonight and what a trooper he was! I can recall spending time with my mother at her workplace for hours on the weekends. I remember how painful it was. I brought all kinds of goodies for Joseph so he wouldn't be as bored as I used to be. I bought him a new Lego set (Toy Story 3, of course), 2 new Tag books (Toy Story and Cars), a Toy Story 3 puzzle, painting/marker paper, and yummy grinds. He was so well behaved and I was so proud of him! Susan tried to shake his hand and he didn't quite get it so we're going to have to work on that but she commented on how at-ease he is with strangers. It's true! He's just like his grandpa in that way!
My dad was definitely the life of the party. He knew everyone because he would talk to everyone. He was so friendly and easy to talk to. I remember being embarrassed by how friendly he was but now as an adult, I'm always talking to strangers. I think it contributes to Joseph's gregarious spirit. That, and my father is sitting on his shoulder guiding him through life, I'm certain. How lucky I am to have had such an amazing father! I think about him all the time. Last night I had a dream about him. When I wake up I am so sad because I feel like I should be able to call him up or visit him. I can't wait to be reunited with him again! Well, maybe I *CAN* wait until Joseph's much older.
Thanksgiving is approaching quickly. I'm so excited to head over to Oregon to have dinner with Joe's family! The food is always AMAZING! I'm excited to see James and Laura, too! They have recently become engaged! It is so exciting when people make the decision to spend the rest of their lives together!!! They will be tying the knot in June and we can't wait to be there to support them.
No comments:
Post a Comment