Whoa! Where has the month gone? Between work, single parenting, Ombudsman, and school there has hardly been a chance to catch my breath! Work is great. An opportunity arose where I'd be working at Fort Lewis (with some of my heros) making more than twice what I make now as a big cheese so I applied for it. We'll see if anything comes of it but life would definitely change. I wouldn't be around as much for Joseph during the day (no more visits to his classroom to share lunch or snack time) and I wouldn't be able to have lunch with Joe on base like I do now. I'd also have to postpone the Principalship course to complete my master's degree which would really stink because I've worked so hard for so long to keep up with it. I'm hoping I just don't hear from them so I don't have to say "no" to an interview. I'd also miss Mary and Chris and my job so much. Money makes you do crazy things!
Last week I gave an official statement to NCIS. For those of you who don't know, NCIS stands for Navy CRIMINAL Investigative Services. I was not the CRIMINAL in question, but since it is still undergoing an investigation, I'm not at liberty to furnish any details (cryptic, isn't it?). It was scarier than I ever could have imagined. After the statement was given, the agent (who was impossibly beautiful, friendly, and astute) typed it up and I had to read it, initial before and after each paragraph and sign the bottom after swearing it was the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. "So help me, God" was absent. Funny, ya?
Joe returned briefly which was completely unexpected and wonderful! Joseph was beside himself. He hardly wanted to let his dad out of his sight. Getting him down to bed was traumatic.
The class that I am taking now is called "Action Research" and what it involves is writing a research proposal from beginning to end. I've focused my study on school age students and the impact of military life. The reason I chose this was completely out of guilt. I wish that I could give my son a life where we stay in one place forever. One where his father is always here to read to him, kiss him and tuck him in at night. I can't. So at least I can REALLY understand the negative impact this lifestyle is having on him and how schools are working hard to compensate for it. :(
Mary and I have befriended a Barista named Josh. He is fabulously gregarious, warm, intelligent, and earnest. Every time we see him, we are instantly uplifted. He is such an amazing person! We became friends on Facebook and one night (while avoiding homework) I familiarized myself with his Facebook page. The next day, I approached him with a barrage of questions and he seemed a bit surprised by how much I knew about him. On a side note, I've always been good at studying things. When I get obsessed with something I study it to death. Once, I was obsessed with Alcatraz and read almost every book about it, saw every movie, studied every attempted breakout, and every high-profile inmate. I went through a Robert Sean Leonard phase about 10 years ago when I saw every movie that he was in and even bought the NPR Short Stories album that had a segment where he was reading "The Smoker." For a bit I was obsessed with the state of Virginia where I planned on attending the University of Virginia or the College of William and Mary to study history. Wayne bought me a Virginia travel book for my birthday and I read it over and over. But I digress... Josh is amazing and I've tried to formulate a plan so I can cultivate a son just like him. You should see his Facebook page! He and his sister are absolutely nuts about each other. "I love you, Josh!" "You're such a cool sister." "This is dedicated to you, sis!" "Josh, I'm your biggest fan." A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! How do parents create an environment where siblings don't absolutely loath one another? His mother gave up her entire life to home school the two of them! Talk about a sacrifice! And his father taught him how to skateboard and snowboard! His dad is retiring after 30 years in the Navy as a Master Chief! How can someone be that successful and have a great family! These people should be writing books! I'd buy it!
I recently changed my residency from Hawaii to Washington. It hurt a bit when Joe took my beautiful rainbow plate off and threw that ugly blue mountain one. At least I still got the Warrior pride going on! Manoa No Ka Oi!
Taryn and Wayne are coming to Washington to visit me and my skin is practically jumping off of my body with excitement! The three musketeers reunited at last! We'll see what kind of crazy antics we will be involved with.
Hopefully April will yield a higher number of posts. My blog has been like a dying plant cast aside to wilt away. I must invent a way to add just 10 more hours on each day. Then I'd really be in business!
No comments:
Post a Comment