Friday, February 5, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me!

Joseph is an artist! His first Paint By Numbers!
Super embarrassing birthday ice cream

Lunch at Red Robin

Cupcakes for Joseph's class

Flowers delivered to my work from Joe

Today is my birthday. When I was really young (11 or 12) I used to hope that I would die soon after I turned 21 because after that it seemed like I would be a old geezer. Nine years later, I'm still kicking (thankfully) and hope the next thirty years don't fly by as quickly as the first thirty did!

Today I went to work. I wouldn't have it any other way (regarding work) because I love love love love love love my job! I know that if I were still teaching in Hawaii today would be "furlough Friday" and I wouldn't have to work and I'd be grateful for it but today I'd really rather be at work than doing anything else. The days seem to fly by because Mary and I are so busy. We're guiding the Child Youth Program facilities through the process of acquiring accreditation by COA (Council on Accreditation). Months ago when we started going through COA's website, we could have been reading Arabic for all we knew. Now we understand the process and are trying to explain it to the managers and administrators. It's really exciting!

Lately I've been consumed with finding a school for Joseph. I'm completely overwhelmed by it. First of all, I am a bit sick that we have to PAY for Kindergarten. In the South Kitsap district, Kindergarten isn't full-time. That's just crazy! Why wouldn't you want your child to go to school all day? Since I also work, I have to find a school that has an after school program, too. I found a pretty good school but when I went to visit the after school program, I was shocked to see the deplorable conditions of the facility. The kids stay in one small room from 3pm until 5:30pm with really nothing to do! There were no games, books, or tables for doing homework. For snack, there was a bag of carrots, pretzels, and a bottle of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing! All of this for $320 a month on top of the $700 tuition?! Who do they think they are?

Joe had tulips sent to the Litehouse. It was a nice surprise even though it attracted unwanted attention. I was trying to keep a low profile this year since it's the big 3-0. Mary didn't help matters by telling EVERYONE that it was my birthday. When I went into training this morning, all the staff sang Happy Birthday to me. I brought bagels and cream cheese (instead of doughnuts) and my toaster and I think it was a hit. I still had half left at least we'll have breakfast for the next month. :)

Mary took me to lunch at Red Robin today. It was really nice. The food took forever to arrive but it didn't matter because we had a lot to talk about. While we were eating there were two other birthday people being serenaded by the staff. I told her that I would DIE of embarrassment if that happened to me. Sure enough, as we were about to leave, our server announced (at the top of his lungs) "We have a special birthday today!" As they were singing, I was sinking in my seat.

I took cupcakes to Joseph's class today to celebrate my birthday. His class was so excited because they were so large. It was fun to share them. They're all so cute!

Joseph is now making cake for me (out of sushi and fruits and vegetables). I am going to enjoy them and get ready for bath and bed time.

2 comments:

Darth Mama said...

Happy Birthday! It sounds like you had a wonderful birthday. You only turn 30 once, and it sounds like it was very special! Enjoy your day!

I wish you many more happy days and years ahead of you. Whether they seem to come fast or slow, may each day be filled with happiness!

aunt choody said...

Happy Birthday!