It's Monday evening and I am not in fear of a looming paper. Why? I decided to take this school term off! I couldn't have been more relieved when I made the call to my academic advisor. I actually giggled when I got off of the phone with him! I will start another term in March. Until then I am going to take every day to focus on the other things that are going on in my life.
Joe will be going on patrol soon. So many things have changed since we've been on sea duty. Trident subs are also a lot different than fast attack subs. Instead of going "underway" they go on "patrol." They only go for 3 months (or less) at a time and when they're "in port" they are completely "in!" Joe hasn't even had to stand duty yet and we've been attached to the Maine for almost 3 months! How beautiful! Now days, submarines don't do "family grams" anymore. That's an interesting change. I don't believe that Joe ever got any one of my family grams anyway. Half-way night will happen at about 6 weeks instead of 3 months!
While I am celebrating the realities of Trident life, however, my dear friend, Mary is bidding farewell to her husband. He has been chosen to serve in Kandahar, Afghanistan for an entire year. I've tried to express to her my profound grief over the situation. I've offered my ears and shoulders. I hope she knows how much I love her and that she can count on me for anything.
Tonight we went over to a friend's house for a barbeque. I made my mom's potato salad and it was a hit. I also made brownies and I'm glad that I did because no one else brought sweets! Joseph had such a great time playing with all of the other kids. They are all younger than he is but there are a couple of girls that he had fun with. Grace and I have a lot in common. She enjoys photography and sewing. So do I! She has two beautiful girls. She just took the GRE (I took it a while ago but she's much younger than I am) and is waiting to hear back from the University of Washington for graduate school. I admire her for wanting to pursue it even with everything else going on in her life.
Going to her house motivates me to get started on a few craft projects of my own. Joseph's class is studying Asia and I purchased a pattern for a cute Chinese outfit. I also purchased some fabric to create sushi for the Dramatic Play center. I have organized cooking activities for the class, too. I wanted to teach them how to make Spam Musubi and Fried Rice but they were rejected because some of the ingredients were questionable. I disagree but what can you do? Since I work with the Child and Youth Program it's not like I can complain because I would be complaining to my co-workers and I'd just be another annoying parent. Now I'm not sure what I will demonstrate... fried noodles? Gyoza? Spring rolls?
Lastly, my mother-in-law, Lory, has given me the Cricut machine for Christmas and I feel pressure mounting daily to use it. It's a formidable contraption. I've dreamed about it for years and I've watched the infomercials for hours at a time but I can't seem to motivate myself to start a project. I paid $20 to take a class at Joanns but they canceled it on me!
Hopefully I will get my act together and download some pictures for my next entry. You'd think that I'd have a plethora of time since I am not in school. Doing nothing feels so good sometimes!
No comments:
Post a Comment