Destiny, Wayne, and I have been friends since high school. It's so difficult to believe that we are in our mid-thirties, with our own careers, interests, goals, and families. I would have never thought that I would have ended up where I have. There are so many things that are so beyond the scope of teenaged understanding that it's frightening to think that young adults of this age are making decisions that will impact the rest of their lives. We do the best we can, however, and live with the lasting results. Sometimes we're unable to lift ourselves out of regret over what could have been, and other times, we're able to see that life has its own design and although we while the years away planning, we eventually yield to our fate.
For a while, it was just the two of us- Wayne and Tiffany. We welcomed Destiny into our circle when we realized how awesome she was our senior year, then Taryn in college when her awesomeness presented itself while hanging out at marching band practice and games. We had sleepovers, practiced our instruments incessantly, dreamed about the future, took the bus everywhere, attended music camps, planned outfits, and just hung out.
I grew up on Waiola Street in Moili`ili so I didn't realize how special their shave ice was until I moved to Washington state and have been barely surviving its absence on blistering hot summer days. We went to Ward Warehouse to check out the H-Zone (to get my hands on University of Hawaii apparel) and have the boys try Waiola Shave Ice. Joseph didn't want to eat one all by himself (because he wasn't sure if he was going to like it) so he shared one with Aunty Taryn. They got a rainbow bowl with ice cream on the bottom. I ordered a strawberry bowl with mocha balls and ice cream. Jacob enjoyed sipping the syrup through the straw, but didn't care for the mounding scoops I offered when he came up for breath.

Taryn said that Wayne was confident at first about his role as care-taker, but that eventually waned (pun intended) when Jacob kept asking for me. Eventually, he mastered the art of nurturing a 3-year old and they played together without another mention of mommy.





No comments:
Post a Comment