Sunday, November 24, 2013

Girls Week in DC

Taryn and I went on a week-long girls trip to Washington DC for the University of Hawaii versus US Naval Academy football game.  I don't care for football, but it was the perfect opportunity and excuse to galivant around the city for a week!

The days were perfect!  It was sunny yet crisp weather and it was perfect for walking. We visited Derek Kilmer's office to gain access to the Senate and House chambers. 


Not surprisingly, many of our friends have relocated to the DC Metro area. Aside from being the center of the political world, it is rich with culture and history and is brimming with opportunity. We shared a couple of meals with Tracy who is Taryn's childhood friend. 

Here we are in front of the Washington Monument. We're facing the Lincoln Memorial which is one of my favorite historical monuments. I also like the Jefferson Memorial.  You can't really tell, but there is scaffolding on the Monument. At night you can see it glitter from afar and it is beautiful. It reminds me of our trip to Paris and the Eiffel Tower.  The day we departed, they took the scaffolding off and put it on the Capitol dome and it will be there for a couple of years. 


Here we are in front of the White House. When we arrived, police found white powder on the road in front so they evacuated the area. We waited over an hour until the area was declared safe.  It was a reminder of the scary time in which we live. 

Kelsey is another friend who has relocated to DC. Taryn and I worked with her at Punahou Academy. She graduated from Williams College (despite having appointment letters from congressmen to Westpoint and Naval Academy) and decided to stay in the East coast. Even though it really suits her, she misses Hawaii.  I think we all do. I don't think anyone who was born and raised in Hawaii and who moves away from "home" really ever says, "thank goodness I don't live there anymore."  I think it's more like, "Hawaii will always be my home, but I am happy in [insert new residence]."  

I love cupcakes. Taryn and I foolishly ate an obscenely gross amount of food for lunch at Dean & Deluca so we actually didn't have room in our bellies for cupcakes. I can imagine it must have been delish! 

The Metro. I'd love to have the Metro in Kitsap. I'd love to use mass transit to get everywhere.  It was clean for the most part. I've always really liked the convenience and price of the Metro. It beats driving and parking in DC. 

We toured the Naval Academy before going to the football game. Midshipmen go to school for free in addition to receiving a $1,000 monthly stipend. In return they must serve a minimum of 5 years upon graduation.  It is incredible being there among the 18 and 19 years old babies who are fresh from high school. They have their entire lives in front of them and are already committed to risking their lives in the name of their country. The maturity of these youngsters takes my breath away. I can't imagine making those kinds of decisions at that age. 

I'm big on pajamas so I purchased matching bottoms (in our favorite color) for the trip. Taryn being Taryn wanted to document our twin-ness. 

Dean & Deluca is like heaven...  

We met Maria in Annapolis. She drove down from Baltimore to have lunch with us. Here we are at Dock Street Bar and it was delish! They claim to have the best crab cakes in Annapolis and I really think they do. They may even have the best cakes in the country!  They're so large, moist, and flavorful!  Maria, Taryn, and I went to high school together. She majored in Accounting at the University of Hawaii and joined an enormous firm in Baltimore. She really likes the scale of the projects on which she works and says she wouldn't have that kind of opportunity in Hawaii. 

Hawaii is a beautiful place in which to grow up. The customs, food, vernacular, culture, music, history are like no other and I'm proud to have grown up there. I, like Tracy and Maria, will never not appreciate growing up there, but know that our place in life is elsewhere- at least for now. 

It was an enjoyable trip, but I'm glad to be back home in Washington. I missed my babies, my husband, my bed, my car, my routine... It made me grateful for the blessed life I have. 












No comments: