Sunday, April 28, 2013

A Report on the Boys

Western Washington has had a glorious bout of cheerful weather!  The boys spend the afternoons outside playing in the yard.  I pick them up from Miss Lina and Miss Emy's and they're ready to hit the sack right after dinner and showers despite the residual glow in the windows (love the arrival of the long summer months). 

Picking them up is the BEST and most wonderful feeling in the world.  It's like being reunited after years apart with all of the excitement and love.  I'm not away for too long- 7 or 8 hours from Jakers and just a few from Joseph, but it makes our time together on the weekends and during dinner even more special. 

Jacob is growing into such a special little man!  Last night, Joe and I were snickering at his antics.  I caught him staring at Jacob, goofy-grinned, watching him sing and dance.  We both marvel at how happy and sweet our boys are.  Joseph's learning to test his boundaries and even though cognitively I completely appreciate this stage of development, it's still difficult for me to deal with.  Jacob is transitioning from that awkward "can't communicate and therefore I'm completely frustrated and angry" to "Oh!  Yes, I understand what is going on.  I'll be a little less trying on my poor mother."  He lets me change his diaper without struggle of a WWF match.  I likened his strategy of avoidance to a crocodile- he would twist and twist until he'd evade capture on the changing table.  He was also pretty tough to get into his car seat.  It still remains a challenge from time to time, but I've realize that dried cereal makes the perfect distraction.

The funniest thing that Jacob does is that he often dips his food in his beverage.  Although I also appreciate the joy of a hard and crunchy Oreo in milk, pizza doesn't seem like it'd be as pleasing.  Perhaps it's an attempt to soften the crust, or cool the temperature. Who knows?

Jacob has some regular phases in his speech arsenal: Up please, help please, nigh-night, buh-bye, thank you, hello, more please, mommy, daddy, Emi, Mimi, go...  I can't think of everything, but that's a list.  Similar to Joseph, he is limited in his speech.  I don't worry (surprisingly) because Joseph was EXACTLY the same way.  Joe and I also have the benefit of knowing the importance of parallel speech and we also find comfort in knowing that everyone around him speaks to him a lot.  It will progress in its own time.  He also has his first appointment with a speech language pathologist next week.  Yay for early intervention!

Joseph loves listening to his books on CD.  He can read, but I think he prefers the luxury of being able to "read" while he plays with his toys.  I think it's valuable for him to practice reading (which he does at home, school, and tutoring a LOT) but it's also nice that he chooses to listen on his own. 

His favorite books used to be the Magic Tree House.  Before we discovered it on CD, I read the first 20 or so with him.  I miss reading it to him, but once in a while, he'll let me read it to him instead of reading it himself.  He now really likes Geronimo Stilton.  I'm glad I don't have to read that to him anymore because the text is so confusing.  There are pictures imbedded in the paragraphs and it's too distracting to me.  I'm sure it's just enough stimulation for a 2nd grader.

We've been playing a lot of Scrabble, Skipbo, and Uno around here.  I love that Joseph is old enough to play with us.  We went to a Mariners game this past Friday and on the ferry ride, we were able to occupy our time with Skipbo.  I think the traditions that surround the activities are just as important as the activities themselves. 

Here they are at the game:


No comments: